Alabama State Teacher of the Year, 2014
Dr. Alison Grizzle, 2014 Alabama Teacher of the Year, serves as an Education Administrator with the Alabama State Department of Education in the Department of Teaching and Learning. Alison taught mathematics for 15 years in Birmingham City Schools, serving students from both Ensley and P.D. Jackson Olin High Schools.
Alison holds a B.A from Denison University with a double major in mathematics and English, a M.Ed. from University of Alabama at Birmingham with a specialization in secondary mathematics education, another M.Ed. from the University of Montevallo in Instructional Leadership, and an Ed.D. from Walden University with a specialization in teacher leadership. In addition, Alison attained her national teaching certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Alison serves on several non-profit boards that focus on creating opportunities for youth in the Birmingham area – Birmingham Education Foundation, Youth Serve, and Girls Inc. of Central Alabama.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Videos of Practice
Encouraging student discourse and deepen their understanding by setting the tone, relinquishing control in the classroom, and by asking questions that meet students where they are
with Alison Grizzle
Encouraging student discourse and deepen their understanding by setting the tone, relinquishing control in the classroom, and by asking questions t...
Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12