Georgia State Teacher of the Year, 2015
Amanda’s teaching career has included positions in pre-K, third, fourth and 5th grades. As a classroom teacher in Title I Schools, Amanda has been an EIP host teacher to students who struggle with reading and math skills and has also been the lead teacher for students identified as gifted and high achieving. Her master’s degree is in Curriculum and Instruction and her Education Specialist’s degree is in Teaching and Leading from Georgia Southwestern State University. In addition, Amanda has educational endorsements in Science, teaching Gifted Education, and teaching English Language Learners.
Amanda’s serves on numerous school committees and is actively volunteering in the community. She is a member of the Advisory Board for the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education, State Superintendent Teacher Advisory Board, Kappa Delta Pi Commissioner, Advisory Council member for the Network for Transforming Educator Preparation, a NEA Global Fellow, and is the 2015 Georgia Teacher of the Year. Amanda is married to her high school sweetheart (Kellen) and they have two children (Jordan and Avery).
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.