Louisiana State Teacher of the Year, 2012
April Giddens is passionate educator that continually strives to encourage and support both students and teachers every day. She earned a degree in Elementary Education, as well as a master’s degree and a plus 30, from Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana. April also received National Board Certification in Literacy: Reading-Language Arts/Early and Middle Childhood in 2007. Currently, April is working towards a doctorate in curriculum, instruction, and assessment from Walden University. April is the 2012 Louisiana Teacher of the Year. She is currently serving as a Literacy Integration Specialist at Natchitoches Central High School and as an adjunct instructor at Northwestern State University. She lives in Natchitoches with her husband, Mike. They have three children that keep them on their toes.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Videos of Practice
with April Giddens
Fostering reciprocal teaching by helping students to generate higher-order thinking questions.
Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12