Co-Director: The Right Question Institute
Dan Rothstein, Co-Founder of the Right Question Institute, has spent many years learning from the people with whom he has worked all over the U.S. and beyond as a youth worker, community educator, urban planner and non-profit leader. Lessons from the work have led to innovative pedagogical methods that promote deeper learning, better decision-making, and greater civic participation. A graduate of Harvard College with a doctorate from the Harvard Graduate School of Education (where he was an Editor of the Harvard Educational Review), Dan was also a Fulbright Scholar and one of very few non-academics to be chosen as a National Academy of Education Spencer Fellow. In 2011, Harvard Education Press published a book about the Question Formulation Technique (QFT) that he co-authored with Luz Santana (Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions). Dan and his colleagues continue to be inspired every day from the remarkably creative ways educators are embracing the QFT and making it their own in more than 100,000 classrooms around the world.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Videos of Practice
Teaching students the foundational skill of question formulation that leads to students who are more engaged, take ownership of their own learning and learn more.
with Dan Rothstein
Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12