Maine State Teacher of the Year, 2014
Karen MacDonald holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Education from Mt. Holyoke College and a Master of Science in Professional Teaching from the University of Southern Maine. She is a National Board Certified Teacher and has a Maine ELL (English Language Learner) endorsement. She has been teaching in the Portland, Maine, school system since 1979, with most of her career spent at King Middle School where she taught language arts to sixth and seventh grade students. King Middle School serves an ethnically and economically diverse middle school population.
Karen MacDonald was one of the first Expeditionary Learning teachers when the model was created in 1992. Karen is considered an accomplished designer of Learning Expeditions in the Expeditionary Learning Schools national network and has designed and implemented professional development for the EL Learning Site Seminars and the National Conference. In 2014 she served as Maine’s Teacher of the Year. Karen also served on the board of Educate Maine, an education and business partnership organization.
Publications: Student-Centered Learning – Harvard Education Press, edited by Bill Nave, Chapter 5
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Member of these groups
with David Bosso
David Bosso hosts NNSTOY's Adult Learning and Leadership Course, sharing NNSTOY's take on the roles, opportunities, and challenges that occupy teacher leaders.
Videos of Practice
with Karen MacDonald
Involving students in a real-life project intended for an authentic audience.
Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12