Arkansas State Teacher of the Year, 2011
Kathy Powers is a middle school language arts teacher at Carl Stuart Middle School in Conway, Arkansas. During her 22-year career, Powers has taught first through sixth grades in the classroom and online college classes to future teachers. She has presented at conferences including the International Literacy Association conference and has published articles in the journals Reading Improvement and The Reader. Powers earned her master’s degree in Reading Education from the University of Central Arkansas and her National Board Certification in Literacy. In 2011, she was named the Arkansas Teacher of the Year, which led to numerous opportunities to talk with policy makers about local, state, and national education policy issues. In 2012 she was appointed to the Arkansas Closing the Academic Achievement Gap Commission where she works to reduce inequities in educational resources for the children of Arkansas.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Videos of Practice
with Kathy Powers
Narrowing the academic achievement gap by coding rich vocabulary in authentic texts.
Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12