Katie Brown is an ELL Specialist, Teacher Leader TOSA, and the 2014 Washington State Teacher of the Year. She has been teaching for 12 years in Bellingham, Washington where she has taught middle school Language Arts, Social Studies, AVID, and ELL. In her current role, she supports diverse learners through a combination of direct student support, instructional coaching with teachers, and family engagement. She is passionate about making content accessible for language learners in any content classroom. Katie also facilitates professional development in her building, district, and the state and strives to increase teacher leadership and teacher directed learning.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Videos of Practice
with Katie Brown
Increasing student engagement through strategies that encourage random participation.
Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12