District of Columbia State Teacher of the Year, 2009
Kimberly A. Worthy is an educator, innovator, author, speaker, and educational consultant with a lifelong passion for empowering and educating children. She currently works in Howard University’s Office of Undergraduate Studies, advising first year Education majors, and developing programs to increase the retention and graduation rates of Howard’s students. She serves on the Board of Trustees of the National Network of State Teachers of the Year (NNSTOY), and is the ANC Commissioner for Single Member District 4A05 in N.W. Washington, D.C. A tireless advocate for educational excellence in urban schools, Kimberly was honored in 2009 with the coveted “District of Columbia State Teacher of the Year” award, one of a dozen awards she has received since 2001 that recognize her expertise and commitment to educational excellence.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.