Lee’s Summit, Missouri, is home to Kristen Merrell where she lives with her husband and three children. Merrell holds a bachelor’s degree in elementary education, a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction, and a specialist degree in school administration. Although she is currently a school administrator, Merrell enjoyed teaching students for over 15 years spanning grades pre-K to 6th. Additionally, she led as a Professional Learning Communities Coach, Literacy Lead Teacher, and Beginning Teachers Assistance Program Facilitator. Merrell received numerous grants during her tenure, was named 2007 Math and Logic Teacher of the Year, was a 2007 state finalist for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, and served Missouri as their 2011 – 2012 state Teacher of the Year. “Every day, I have the chance to get up and do something I love – make a difference.”
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Member of these groups
with Rebecca Mieliwocki
Rebecca Mieliwocki, 2012 National Teacher of the Year, shares how Genius Hour makes school relevant, meaningful, and challenging for her students.
Videos of Practice
Using hands-on materials and manipulatives to deepen students’ levels of mathematical understanding.
with Kristen Merrell
Using hands-on materials and manipulatives to deepen students’ levels of mathematical understanding..