New Jersey State teacher of the Year, 2010
Maryann Woods-Murphy is a Gifted and Talented Specialist teacher, working in five elementary schools in Nutley Public Schools in Nutley, New Jersey. Among her awards and honors, Maryann was a Washington Teaching Ambassador Fellowship in 2011, the New Jersey Teacher of the Year in 2010, a Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Language Teacher of the Year in 2010 and an America Achieves Fellow from 2012-2015. Maryann is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the NEA Foundation and the Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. These diverse experiences have given Maryann the chance to interact with policy makers, meet with teachers across the nation and connect with the media. Maryann is passionate about fostering teacher leadership efforts to help empower teachers to collaborate, to break down the walls between disciplines, and to energize teacher talent to support student success.
Member of NNSTOY
We are a network of State Teachers of the Year and Finalists who use our teacher leadership to ensure that every student receives an outstanding education. We do this through our focus on practice, policy and advocacy.We Believe...
- Every student has a right to a high-quality education, regardless of background, race, gender, disability or socio-economic status.
- To achieve educational excellence for all students, we must transform and support the teaching profession.
- It is imperative that we involve our nation’s expert teachers in conversations about improving education.
- Teacher leaders will transform the teaching profession and create, implement and sustain systems to solve our toughest educational challenges.
- We must prepare our country’s future workforce to be competitive in a global economy and participate in a diverse, democratic country.
- Educators must partner with families and communities on behalf of our nation’s children.
Videos of Practice
Encouraging students to think by creating a classroom where ideas matter, where students find the big idea in multiple sources, and where time is provided for thinking practice.
with Maryann Woods-Murphy
Encouraging students to think by creating a classroom where ideas matter, where students find the big idea in multiple sources, and where time is p...
Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12